It seems as though something like sleep, which is natural and essential to our biology, should be pretty easy to come by. But, Mattress Firm knows that the truth is, sometimes our sleep sucks. Mattress Firm has made helping people sleep better our business, but we also know that there are many things that can keep us from getting the Zzz’s we need.
Mattress Firm is here with good news: your sleep doesn’t have to suck! Undiagnosed medical disorders aside, there are simple steps you can take to sleep better tonight. If counting sheep hasn’t worked for you, try improving your sleep with these 7 tips.
Seven Suggestions for Superior Sleep
1. Create an atmosphere conducive to sleep by choosing comfortable bedding and setting the thermostat to a temperature between 68 and 72 degrees. An ambient noise machine may drown out traffic and other sleep-disturbing sounds. If it’s not possible to completely darken your room, try installing dark-out curtains or wearing a sleep mask.
2. There is a lot of research indicating that blue light emitted by electronic devices and energy efficient fluorescent light bulbs may delay or disrupt your sleep. It’s best to remove cell phones and LED alarm clocks from the bedroom at least 30 minutes before it’s time for you to fall asleep.
3. Establish a bedtime routine and stick to it. At about the same time each evening, listen to soothing music, read a book or take a warm bath or shower. Yoga moves that relax muscles and promote steady breathing are good, but avoid vigorous activity that accelerates your heart rate several hours before bedtime.
4. If you are unable to fall asleep after 20 minutes, try getting out of bed and doing something relaxing until you feel sleepy. Staying in bed and watching the clock increases your anxiety and makes it more difficult to drift off.
5. Good daytime habits promote better quality sleep at night. You’ll be rewarded with a great night’s sleep by exercising daily, eating a healthy, balanced diet, and reducing or eliminating nicotine. Avoid naps during the day if possible, but if one is required, limit it to 30 minutes or less and take it early in the afternoon. Get outside during the day to enjoy the benefits of natural light, which is a strong regulator of the biological clock.
6. A glass of wine can induce sleep, but Mattress Firm’s sleep consultant Dr. Sujay Kansagra advises against drinking alcohol too late in the evening since it will likely affect the latter half of your sleep cycle. Other liquids, such as water and milk, can be consumed in the evening, but limit the amount to prevent middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom.
7. If your mattress shows signs of age, it may be the reason you have trouble falling asleep. There are several factors that determine the “shelf life” of your mattress, including quality and usage, so it’s important to evaluate your mattress regularly to make sure it’s still giving you the support you need for a good night’s sleep. If it’s time to replace your mattress, visit a Mattress Firm location near you to talk to one of our sleep experts about your sleep needs and how our products can help enhance your sleep.
Of course, there could be something else that is impeding your sleep. If you have more than occasional difficulty falling asleep, it’s time to see your doctor. Not getting an appropriate amount of sleep is detrimental to your physical and mental well-being and may pose serious health risks. Receiving proper care for a sleep disorder can improve both the quality of your life and the lives of your loved ones.
About The Author
The Daily Dozers is a team of our finest Mattress Firm sleep happy experts, pooling their expertise to bring you all you need to know on sleep news of the day and the latest trends in sleep health. Sometimes our team of regular Daily Doze contributors (Craig, Ken and Sunni…not to name names) will throw a pillow or two when trying to decide who gets to write about which topic; and when that happens, we let our task force of daily dozin’ specialists play referee, pooling their knowledge on the topic. From super-sized snoring habits to the very real struggle of trying to become a morning person, there’s no topic too tired for The Daily Dozers.
Best Night’s Sleep: There’s nothing that this dream team loves more than long walks on the beach to prepare for a peaceful slumber, a warm cup of lavender tea, an old Jane Austen novel and curling up in the comfort of their very own Mattress Firm beds.