Did you know a new pillow may weigh roughly 10 ounces, but after two years it can double in mass due to dust mite contamination?
When it comes to pillows, sharing pillows with your partner is not the best approach for your overall health. In fact, pesky dust mites and unwanted buildup from sweat and oil accumulates night after night on your pillow.
Even more, an unclean pillow may be responsible for all sorts of health and sleep issues. If you find yourself waking up sneezing, coughing, with a headache or feeling congested, there’s a good chance your pillow is to blame.
You likely don’t overlook the importance of clean sheets and pillowcases by placing them in the laundry weekly. Think for a moment the last time you washed or replaced your actual pillow? If you can’t remember when exactly you placed your pillows in the washing machine or purchased them, now is the time to do so.
The Mattress Firm team doesn’t want you sleeping on a dirty pillow.
Here’s a quick test to know if it’s time to buy new pillows.
- First check for signs of odor, mold, and mildew. Replace if any of these exist.
- Next, fold your pillow in half and let go. When you release it, your pillow should regain its shape. Pillows that don’t return to their original shape should be replaced.
- You can visit one of our Mattress Firm stores to pick up a new set of pillows for you and your partner.
Whether your pillow is still in good shape or brand new, start implementing some of these best practices to help create a clean, dust mite-free cushion to rest your head.
- Every two weeks, put your pillows out in the hot sun to deodorize and kill off dust mites. During the cold, wet months, toss them in a hot dryer for 10-15 minutes on high heat. Be sure to read the care instructions on each pillow before placing them in the dryer.
- Don’t go to bed with wet hair. Doing so only adds to the moisture content of your pillow causing a breeding ground for germs.
- Consider purchasing a zippered pillow protector. The ones we offer at Mattress Firm have high thread counts, providing a protective barrier from undesirable contaminants while allowing the fibers to breathe. Also, if you’re traveling these are ideal for overnight stays away from home.
This is your opportunity to start fresh for a healthier and hygienic sleep. Today wash your pillow in warm water and when it dries, explain to your partner from now on the pillow is one thing you simply cannot share. If that causes an argument, just show them this article. Something tells us they’ll understand!
About The Author
The Daily Dozers The Daily Dozers is a team of our finest Mattress Firm sleep happy experts, pooling their expertise to bring you all you need to know on sleep news of the day and the latest trends in sleep health. Sometimes our team of regular Daily Doze contributors (Craig, Ken and Sunni…not to name names) will throw a pillow or two when trying to decide who gets to write about which topic; and when that happens, we let our task force of daily dozin’ specialists play referee, pooling their knowledge on the topic. From super-sized snoring habits to the very real struggle of trying to become a morning person, there’s no topic too tired for The Daily Dozers. Best Night’s Sleep: There’s nothing that this dream team loves more than long walks on the beach to prepare for a peaceful slumber, a warm cup of lavender tea, an old Jane Austen novel and curling up in the comfort of their very own Mattress Firm beds.