Finally, you’re married! The papers are signed, the wedding is over and you’re back from your honeymoon. Now it’s time to kick-off your life as a married couple.
From teaching your partner how you like the dishwasher to be loaded to embracing each other’s most cringe-worthy habits, the first year of marriage is filled with learning, adjusting and growing as a couple. Adding poor sleep habits to the first year of marriage is a recipe for a cranky disaster.
Don’t start your life together on the wrong side of the bed with an old mattress and bad sleep habits. If you didn’t include a new mattress on your registry, here is why it should be one of your first investments as a married couple. We’ve also got some tips about mattress shopping for two!
Why it’s Important
When you purchased your current mattress, you were likely only considering what was best for your personal sleep. Now, there are two of you and your mattress may not fully support your significant other’s sleep needs. It’s crucial to your sleep health as a couple that your mattress works for both of you.
Have a conversation and be upfront and honest about what you need. As with any conversation, it’s also important to listen carefully to your partner’s needs. You can eliminate some mattress options right off the bat, making it a bit easier when you’re ready for the big purchase.
Shopping for Two
After you and your significant other have the conversation about what you both need to ensure a good night’s sleep, it’s time to make your mattress dreams come true. Don’t be intimidated by the mattress buying process. If you’ve fully communicated and made a plan before walking through the door, it’ll be a breeze.
- Make a list: You and your partner have discussed your needs, now take some time to write down and prioritize everything that you’re looking for in a new mattress. This will allow you to go into the store informed and ultimately help you save time.
- Know your budget: Identify how much you’re comfortable spending on your sleep before going to the store. Remember that a mattress is a long-term investment in your sleep health and overall quality of life.
- Communicate your needs: Aside from communicating your needs to each other, be sure you’re transparent with your salesperson. At Mattress Firm, our highly trained sleep consultants will work tirelessly to find the perfect mattress for you and your partner. If you followed our tips, you’ve already created a list of needs and have a budget in mind. Share these things with your sleep consultant and they will guide you through the mattress buying process.
- Ask questions: Don’t hesitate to ask your sleep consultant questions about sleep needs, comfortably, size or even just their own preferences. Additional insight and conversation can help make your decision easier.
- Test ’em out: We encourage everyone who is in the mattress buying process to test out their favorites in store. This is especially important for couples. It’s essential you embark on the journey together and lay on a variety of mattresses in your usual sleep positions. This will make sure you’re both comfortable and ultimately happy with your purchase.
- Know that it takes time: A new mattress takes time to adjust to your body, so don’t be discouraged if you’re sleep doesn’t drastically improve after one night. We recommend giving your new mattress a minimum of 30 nights of rest to allow it to break in and adjust to your comfort needs.
- Don’t stress: If you are ultimately unhappy with your new bed, Mattress Firm makes returns easy. Mattress Firm offers a Love Your Mattress Guarantee. If you don’t love your mattress anytime with 120 night from original delivery, we will do whatever we can to help you find the right mattress.
Check out our mattress shopping checklist if you’re feeling a bit intimidated and need a little more guidance. When it comes to a new marriage, there are a lot of things to celebrate — make a great night’s sleep one of them!
About The Author
The Daily Dozers The Daily Dozers is a team of our finest Mattress Firm sleep happy experts, pooling their expertise to bring you all you need to know on sleep news of the day and the latest trends in sleep health. Sometimes our team of regular Daily Doze contributors (Craig, Ken and Sunni…not to name names) will throw a pillow or two when trying to decide who gets to write about which topic; and when that happens, we let our task force of daily dozin’ specialists play referee, pooling their knowledge on the topic. From super-sized snoring habits to the very real struggle of trying to become a morning person, there’s no topic too tired for The Daily Dozers. Best Night’s Sleep: There’s nothing that this dream team loves more than long walks on the beach to prepare for a peaceful slumber, a warm cup of lavender tea, an old Jane Austen novel and curling up in the comfort of their very own Mattress Firm beds.