If you’re getting ready to move, you have a lot on your plate already. We’ve compiled a buying guide to help ease the pain, should you need a new mattress in the process. Don’t forget to checkout our moving checklist, too!
First, Check Your Mattress Tag
- If your mattress is 8+ years old, it might be easier to start fresh with a new mattress instead of dragging your old mattress into your new home. Even if the mattress is not quite 8 years old, evaluate whether you think the hassle is worth it.
- Everyone at Mattress Firm knows moving a big mattress can suck. So remember, if you choose to purchase a new mattress, we will recycle your old mattress and deliver the new mattress to your new home — which lets you cross one more thing off your to-do list and saves you the backache of moving your mattress on your own.
Think About The Space To Which You’re Moving
- Consider the size of the bedroom you’re moving into. Is it bigger or smaller? Do you need a larger mattress to fill the space or a smaller one to accommodate the room? Maybe you have little ones running around who you think will want to hop in your bed? Or maybe you don’t have children now, but you plan to in the future.
- Think through all the possible scenarios and determine if you want to downsize or upgrade. Our sleep experts are happy to help you think this through to come up with the best option for you. Once you’ve deciphered which size mattress will work best in the space, you can start researching and beginning the mattress buying process.
Do Your Research
- Visit one of the Mattress Firm locations near you to research all of the best mattress options. There are tons of different mattress types and mattress sizes, so do some research to see what qualities you’re looking for.
- When searching for a new home, many people create lists of “must-haves” and things they are willing to live without. Going through a similar process will give you a good idea of what you’re looking for when buying a mattress. Which features absolutely must be in the mattress? What aspects do you care less about, and might be willing to compromise on? From there, we can show you all the products that meet your needs.
- Put our helpful mattress shopping checklist to work too.
While You’re Browsing
- Be upfront about your needs and wants. Having done your research ahead of time will help you communicate your preferences to your Mattress Firm sales expert, and help them lead you in the right direction.
- At Mattress Firm, we don’t want you to have any complaints. We want you to always try before you buy. The best way to find your perfect mattress match is to actually lie down on the mattresses in-store. Give each mattress a solid five minutes of moving around to different sleeping positions so you can get a feel for its comfort level.
- Don’t settle. The sleep expert you are working with will do everything in his or her power to find the best mattress that’s right for you. But, if you don’t love it right away, don’t be afraid to keep looking at all the mattresses we have to offer.
- Give it some time. A new mattress can take time to adjust to your body, so we recommend giving the mattress a minimum of 30 nights of rest to allow for the adjustment period.
- Find your perfect sleeping accessories. Pillows, sheets and other accessories matter just as much as the mattress itself. So during your visit we would love to show you all the products we offer. Take time to pick out ones that you’ll love and align with your style and comfort preferences. You’ll be that much happier with your bed!
- If you are not happy with your new bed, the Mattress Firm return policy makes it easy. Our Love Your Mattress guarantee is made to help you buy with confidence. If you are not satisfied with your Mattress Firm mattress anytime within 120 nights from original delivery, Mattress Firm will do whatever we can to help you get your perfect night’s sleep.
About The Author
The Daily Dozers The Daily Dozers is a team of our finest Mattress Firm sleep happy experts, pooling their expertise to bring you all you need to know on sleep news of the day and the latest trends in sleep health. Sometimes our team of regular Daily Doze contributors (Craig, Ken and Sunni…not to name names) will throw a pillow or two when trying to decide who gets to write about which topic; and when that happens, we let our task force of daily dozin’ specialists play referee, pooling their knowledge on the topic. From super-sized snoring habits to the very real struggle of trying to become a morning person, there’s no topic too tired for The Daily Dozers. Best Night’s Sleep: There’s nothing that this dream team loves more than long walks on the beach to prepare for a peaceful slumber, a warm cup of lavender tea, an old Jane Austen novel and curling up in the comfort of their very own Mattress Firm beds.