Sharing a bed with your significant other can be an intimate and fulfilling experience. Picking out a mattress, however, can be tough with different sleeping styles, sleeping positions and preferences involved. Many times, someone ends up sacrificing individual sleeping preferences and needs to fulfill those of his or her partner.
But it shouldn’t have to be that way! We’ve compiled a guide to help make the mattress buying process easier as a couple — because sleep shouldn’t have to be a sacrifice for anyone.
Before Going Into the Store
- Be upfront about your sleeping needs. Everyone has different sleep preferences — like wanting a soft mattress or a firm mattress, for example — and knowing each other’s wants and needs ahead of time will save some potentially heated conversations down the road.
- Do your research. Spend some time together looking at what kind of Mattress Firm mattresses are available. Having an idea in mind of what you might want will help your Mattress Firm salesperson better direct you to the best mattress.
- Create a list of mattress “must-haves” and “can-live-withouts.” Going through this process together can help narrow down things that you both really want to have in the right mattress.
- Put our helpful shopping checklist to work.
As You’re Shopping
- It’s essential that you shop for a new mattress as a couple versus shopping separately and comparing finds. We encourage you to test out all the mattresses you’re interested in at one of our Mattress Firm locations— as a couple — to make sure that both partners are comfortable and happy with their choice. Make a note of your favorite Mattress Firm products.
- Experiment with different size mattresses. Sharing a bed with a partner can be rather difficult on a small mattress. Test out a variety of sizes — like queen mattresses and king mattresses — to make sure both partners have plenty of room to sleep peacefully.
- Think about an adjustable base for your bed. If both partners cannot come to an agreement on the right mattress, an adjustable base may solve your problem!
- Compromise is key. The Mattress Firm employee helping you will do their best to identify a mattress that is best suited for both of your needs; however, finding the right mattress for you both as a couple might require some give and take. This doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice your sleep preferences; but rather, making sure that both of your sleeping needs are met with the mattress you purchase.
- A new mattress takes time to adjust to your body, so we recommend giving the mattress a minimum of 30 nights of rest to allow for the adjustment period.
- If you are not happy with your new bed, Mattress Firm returns are easy. Mattress Firm offers our customers a Happiness Guarantee to ease the stress of your shopping experience and help you buy with confidence. If you are not satisfied with your mattress anytime within 120 nights from original delivery, Mattress Firm will do whatever we can to make you sleep happy.
Right now is a great time to buy a mattress. Find out more about our #LoveAtFirstNight promotion here and save 15% off purchases of $799 or more!
About The Author
The Daily Dozers The Daily Dozers is a team of our finest Mattress Firm sleep happy experts, pooling their expertise to bring you all you need to know on sleep news of the day and the latest trends in sleep health. Sometimes our team of regular Daily Doze contributors (Craig, Ken and Sunni…not to name names) will throw a pillow or two when trying to decide who gets to write about which topic; and when that happens, we let our task force of daily dozin’ specialists play referee, pooling their knowledge on the topic. From super-sized snoring habits to the very real struggle of trying to become a morning person, there’s no topic too tired for The Daily Dozers. Best Night’s Sleep: There’s nothing that this dream team loves more than long walks on the beach to prepare for a peaceful slumber, a warm cup of lavender tea, an old Jane Austen novel and curling up in the comfort of their very own Mattress Firm beds.